Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Happy Anniversary!!






Matt and I were married 9 years ago today. It was a day just like today - sunshine and just a slight breeze. It was a beautiful day and we really enjoyed being outside to take pictures on our November day. We have never really done anything too crazy for our anniversaries. We would get each other a small gift and usually go out for a nice dinner, but that was about the extent of things. I have to admit that this year, knowing that we would be apart, I did not plan anything. I didn't even buy him a gift -- just one more thing to pack, right? So I was totally not expecting what Matt did for me today.

It started at 7:30am with a knock on the door. A good friend handed me a box and said Happy Anniversary and went on his way. The box had a note on the top from Matt saying that this was his "Box of Love" for me. He even said I could use the box to pack with then I was done with it!! Inside were a bunch of funny little things, including a fake, plastic, bloody Halloween arm - - it was supposed to be an extra hand for me with the kids!! I laughed and the kids thought it was awesome, and I was pretty impressed that Matt had arranged to have this delivered to me since he has not been home for 2 weeks. I felt a little guilty that Matt had taken the time to plan this and I had done nothing! So I got on the internet and ordered him a cute little "Edible Arrangement" and had that delivered to his work. I really wanted him to know that I was thinking of him as well. Little did I know that this was only the beginning of the most amazing anniversary I have ever had!

I had another knock on the door at 10am. This time it was a CD that he had made for me with a whole bunch of songs that we both love. I love it and it really means a lot to me.

Noon brought another friend with a poster that Matt had made. He had drawn a picture of himself with his arms open as wide as the poster board would allow, and said, "My love for you is bigger than this!"

4pm - Knock, knock, knock! I receive a 3-pack of DVD's for the "Love Comes Softly" Series

Then at 5pm, another friend brings over a HUGE candy letter. It made me laugh out loud!
Here is what it said:
Dear "Sweetart"
This letter may be a "Shocker", but it is no "Mirage". I "Stride" to be your "Lifesaver" by protecting you from the "Aero"s and "(licorice)Whips" and "Allsorts" of "Big Turks (Jerks)". I "Wunder(bar)" if you think I "Excel" at being a "FunDip" or a "(Mr.)Big""Nerd(s)". I hope to "Skor" a "Bounty" of "(Eat)More" kisses (big red lips sucker) when I see you soon.
Love your "Extra""Big Hunk"

I kept calling during the day and saying thank you for the "special deliveries" and each time Matt never said anything else about it. So after the candy letter I figured he was done. I was so totally blown away at all the work he had done to make my day special. Then, another knock on the door came at 8pm. A good friend had a card in his hands and said that he had to come and translate the card for me. Matt had written a message for me in Spanish and had our friend read it to me in Spanish and then translate it for me. I was a little embarrassed for our friend as he was reading how Matt feels for me, but it was beautiful.

I was just putting my baby to bed when the phone rang and another friend said she was outside my door with yet another package for me. It was the second set of the "Love Comes Softly" DVD's. How lucky can one girl get anyway!!

It has been the most memorable anniversary I have ever had and I didn't even have my husband here with me. Matt is an amazing husband and father and I count myself lucky to be married to him for eternity. He is definitely not perfect, but then neither am I. The last nine years have been amazing and I am looking forward to many many many more!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I love that Matt did that for you! (I hope that means there is a bit of romance following through the Hatch men.....lol)
You more than deserved it for all the things you do everyday and especially over the past couple months. Enjoy your movies!

Jennie said...

Wow, that is so fun!!!
GOOD JOB Matt! Those were some really good ideas! Maybe I should try that myself.... ;)
Thanks for the ideas!