Friday, November 5, 2010

Better Late Than Never....

I have to admit, that I really dislike Halloween. It is definitely nowhere near the top of my most favorite "holidays". It has become so commercialized and my kids become very demanding and whiny about what they want to wear for a costume that I am ready to just cancel the whole thing. I of course don't, because I know what that feels like. Growing up, my siblings and I were not allowed to go trick or treating. We still dressed up for our school parties, but my dad would not let us go door to door as he felt this was begging and that was something he never wanted his kids to do. As an adult, I can see where he was coming from, but as a child, it felt really unfair. Of course, having to stay at home and hand out candy to all my friends was not the funnest job either. So, every year I have to convince myself that I am helping build memories for my kids and try to help them have a good time. This year as Halloween fell on a Sunday we had a "Trunk or Treat" at the church that we attended. It was really nice to have my kids feel like they participated in Halloween and it only took 45min. I don't know that I will ever like Halloween very much, but unfortunately I really love all their candy!! I've got to get something out of it, right??

This picture isn't great, but I have Anna and Rebecca as 2 little witches, Sarah as Mickey Mouse in pink boots, Grace wearing my poodle skirt from high school, Gideon as a doctor and Brendan as a whoopee cushion. Glad we are done for one more year!!

No comments: