Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

I was given the opportunity to give a talk in church today about the influence of mothers. I chose to speak about my own mother and grandmother. I wouldn't be who I am without them. I thank and honor them so much for being the examples and inspiration I needed to become the woman I am today.


Me, my mom, and my grandma with Sarah in October 2008


I thought I would add a little excerpt from my talk. These were my favorite quotes.

Sister Sheri Dew stated that : When we understand the magnitude of motherhood, it becomes clear why prophets have been so protective of woman’s most sacred role. While we tend to equate motherhood solely with maternity, in the Lord’s language, the word mother has layers of meaning. Of all the words they could have chosen to define her role and her essence, both God the Father and Adam called Eve “the mother of all living” - and they did so before she ever bore a child. Like Eve, our motherhood began before we were born. Just as worthy men were foreordained to hold the priesthood in mortality, righteous women were endowed premortally with the privilege of motherhood. Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women. It defines our very identity, our divine stature and nature, and the unique traits our Father gave us.

President Gordon B. Hinckley stated that “God planted within women something divine.” That something is the gift and the gifts of motherhood. Elder Matthew Cowley taught that “men have to have something given to them [in mortality] to make them saviors of men, but not mothers, not women. [They] are born with an inherent right, an inherent authority, to be the saviors of human souls … and the regenerating force in the lives of God’s children.”

Happy Mother's Day!!

No comments: