Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Big Cook

Today I spent the day at my sister's house making freezer meals. There were 6 of us there (plus one that couldn't make it because of bad roads), and we made 2x14 different meals for each of us to take home. I haven't ever done one of these before, but my sister had and she was very organized and it all went off really well. We had a small glitch with adding too much of one ingredient, but we made it work and it was all fine in the end. We bought everything in bulk and my sister was able to get a really good deal on all the meat at a specialized butcher shop. The piles of food were quite overwhelming, but with all those hands it went quite quickly. It really was quite the experience chopping 20lbs of onions -- I got that fun job! My awesome brother-in-law opened all the cans for us which was no small task. There was a dozen cans of tomato soup, kidney beans, and mushrooms each, more than a dozen cans of pineapple, multiple cans of ketchup, and other odds and ends. He also went for all the meat which was a big job too. We had about 85lbs of hamburger, 16 cases of chicken breasts, about 50lbs of pork chops and ribs, and some stewing meat too. Some of the ladies there had made these recipes before and they knew how tasty they were, so I am excited to try them too. It took us about 7 hours to complete all these meals - - almost 200 meals all together! A very productive day, that is for sure!! Guess what we are having for dinner tomorrow????

1 comment:

The Wolff Den said...

I'm sad I missed it, but I doubt that we would have enough room in our little freezer for all that food anyway. Glad you had a great time!