Friday, April 23, 2010

Terrible Two's

Where do I even start with this one......

OK, I am starting to think that there might be a bit of a problem around our house concerning my two yr old daughter Sarah. I know that all my other kids went through their stages of "terrible twos", but I don't recall any of them being quite so destructive and crazy as Sarah is. I feel like I am always two steps behind her and I can't keep up! Sarah can get into more trouble quicker than you can blink an eye, and sometimes right in the same room with you!


Sarah loves to:

*dump out toy bins (as many as she can all at once)

*empty out cupboards (Tupperware , pie plates - you name it)

*throw things down the stairs (I'm talking big heavy things, not just little toys)

*escape outside as many times a day as she can (usually without any shoes on)

*open the oven door (luckily she hasn't done this when it has been on - yet...)

*"help" with the baking (like squishing rising buns and eating handfuls of dough)

*"wash" the dishes (or just make sure everything around her is covered in water)

*throw ALL the washcloths into the bathtub for her bath (that means about 20 of them)

*and eat paper - - LOTS and LOTS of PAPER!!


Being two is hard work and I think their brains are wired to make as much trouble as they can because they love to see the reactions of their parents. And unfortunately she gets a few reactions around here. I mean - come on!! REALLY!!!???!!! Most of these things I can attribute to being two, but I am having a problem with the paper eating. Sarah will eat anything that is paper - - ANYTHING!! Homework, newspaper, fliers, mail, coupons, toilet paper, Kleenex, video box covers, inserts from DVDs (her favorite ones now are from the library -- %$^#!). I just don't know what to do - if anything - about this. Is this just a phase, or does she have something wrong with her? Either way - I am ready for this phase to just move on out!


On the flip side - Sarah is one of the cutest, most lovable little girls ever! I love her curly blond hair, her smile that makes her eyes crinkle up, her infectious giggle and her never ending zest for life! She keeps me young and definitely makes life interesting! I really do love this beautiful little daughter of mine. As my Grandma Webster used to say: "Please give me the patience to endure my blessings!"


5 comments:

Mindy said...

Hey, I know I'm not the perfect person to give ideas, but here's what I thought of from your post.

- cupboard locks (I use several!)
- oven lock (a couple bucks at Walmart
- chains on doors (works great! We've had them for several years and it has given us a lot of assurance about our little escapee)

If you figure out the dumping toys and the water everywhere thing - I would love to know your ideas cause it's an issue here too!

I hope it gets better for you soon! Love ya!

Mary Lou said...

She's definitely a handful! You can see the mischief in her eyes!!! Good luck with 'containing' her!!!

Jennie said...

WOW, and I thought mine was mischievous!!! I have no advice, but I do like your patience quote. I could use a little help myself!
Hang in there, you are an amazing Mom!

Sheri said...

Wowzers! I was just thinking this past week that we are in the full swing of the terrible twos at our house as well but it sounds like Sarah has taken it to a new level!
I would buy lots of locks, especially for your door (a chain at the top may be hard for even her to reach).
You could always talk to her doctor about the paper eating if you are worried about it because I am sure there are some things in some paper products that aren't the healthiest.
I love our Grandma's quote.......I really need to post that on my fridge :)

Margaret said...

I have to wonder what teachers think of "my little sister ate my homework"!

Sarah is a cutie, and we had to use locks as well, until Robbie figured out who to bypass them.