Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bedtime Snacks

When I was growing up, I don't remember having bedtime snacks before bed. I know we had treats every once in a while, but it wasn't an every night thing. Well, my kids are constantly asking for a bedtime snack, and I guess I am struggling to know if they REALLY need it, or if it is just a habit we have fallen into.
We have our supper at 6pm - late, I know. Matt doesn't get home until then and I feel that it is important to wait and eat supper as a family. So the kids always get an afternoon snack around 4pm. After we are done eating and getting everything cleaned up it is practically time for bed. I guess it just might be me not wanting to make another mess in the kitchen I just tidied up, and sometimes I am just too tired to even think about something else to eat.
So here is the question: Do they really need a snack? And if so, what is a quick and relatively non-messy snack to have (and quick too - I don't have all night!!).
I guess the other side of the problem is that I am looking at the cost of food too. Most of my kids have very healthy appetites and I see a large portion of our monthly budget get eaten. I don't know if I have to change my attitude about food and be a little less anxious about letting my kids have their snacks, or if I can find a way to accommodate all of us.
I know I can make healthy snacks, and I have done cut up apples, cookies and yogurt. I guess I just have to be just a little bit less lazy (OK, a lot less lazy) and plan ahead a little bit.
So, take your vote - - to snack or not to snack......

4 comments:

Sheri said...

We love bedtime snacks here (granted we eat a lot earlier). I think it just gives them that full belly that makes it easier to sleep through the night. We often air pop popcorn (no name brand seeds which is super cheap) or have fruit slices, a handful of cheerios or gold fish and water.
Good luck figuring it all out!

Sheri said...

Oh yah.........in regards to the popcorn snack, we don't put butter or anything on it....just plain and healthy-ish!

Mindy said...

We don't do bedtime snacks. I figure that that is why we have a big healthy supper and if they choose not to eat, then that was their choice.

Some easy snacks we do for after school though, are things like, one granola bar or one fruit snack, an apple, a few slices of cheese...you get the idea. Anything small and without much clean up.

:)

Jennie said...

Some of my favorite memories were of a bedtime snack of bread and milk. I remember bantering with Dad over whether or not we should be allowed to have cheese and raisins on ours like he did!
I wouldn't trade it!!! ;)