Saturday, April 20, 2013

5km Run

Matt had been planning on running the 5km Coaldale Family Fun Run today, and last night I decided to join him.  I have been trying to train for an 8km race in June, and thought this would be a good indicator of how my training (or my feeble attempts at training) was going so far.  I have been trying to get on my treadmill 2-3 times / week and attempting to increase my speed by doing some intervals. 
When I started the race this morning, I was hoping to run the 5km in 32min, but thought I would be happy with anything under 35min.  I just ran the Moonlight Run in March, which was a 6km, and got a time of 42min.  Though, I know I could have done better if I didn't have a crazy, humongous hill to climb at the end of that race!
Most of the race today was on a gravel road, and was a little discouraging, because I was near the front of the start line, and a lot of people were passing me near the beginning.  It was a smaller race though, and it thinned out quite quickly, which was nice too.  The wind was not in our favor and was blowing straight on for the final leg of the race.  I just kept looking at the mom's pushing their strollers that were ahead of me and thought, if they can do this, so can I. 
I was quite excited when I turned the corner toward the finish line and looked up at the clock and saw that it said 30min!  I pushed hard for the last minute and had a final time of 30:55 -- one of the best times I have ever had for a 5km run.  It was great to see that I am making some progress and gives me the motivation to keep going!

2 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Good for you!

Angelyn said...

Congratulations! That's a wonderful accomplishment and I'm sure that helps motivate you to continue training. Good luck on the 8km one!