Monday, August 20, 2012

10km Run

My sister Rachel had been training for a 10km run this summer -- the same one we ran together 2 years ago.  I have been trying to keep up with my running, but when I realized that the run was on the day that I had to be in Calgary picking up Grace and Anna from their camp, I decided that I would just drive the rest of the way up and do the run with her.  I made arrangements for my mom to watch my kids since Matt was working that weekend, and made arrangements to pick the girls up from camp a little early as well.  They were supposed to be picked up at 4pm, but since the race started at 7pm in Edmonton, I figured I needed a little extra time.  There was some miscommunication though, and I wasn't able to get the girls until 4pm, so I figured I had better hustle if I was going to make the race in time.  I was doing ok, until I came up to an accident just before Red Deer and that slowed me down quite a bit.  It took me 20 min to go about 18km.  Needless to say, I was now really behind schedule and ended up getting to the race 10 minutes after it had started.  I was a little stressed from the drive, about being late, and not being able to run with Rachel, but I figured I had come all that way, it would be a waste not to run the race.  It was super hot and muggy and I was already tired when I started, so my time was not as good as I had hoped, but I did it in 1:08, which considering the circumstances, I thought was not too bad.  I did have a great visit with Rachel that evening and was able to go to church with her and her family the next day.  I was a super busy weekend, but I enjoyed it and maybe next time I will be able to plan things a little better!

No comments: