Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Time keeps marching on.....

Today is my son's 12th birthday. How the heck did that happen????? I have spent some time today thinking about the last 12 years and everything that has happened. I have to admit that the last 7 1/2 years were much more peaceful than the first 4 1/2, and I think very influential in Brendan's life too. Brendan has grown up to be such a nice young man so far. There are definitely moments when I am so totally frustrated with him that I would like to throw him out the window (not that I am physically able to do that anymore, but the thought is sometimes there), but then there are times when I am blown away with the maturity that shines through. Brendan has started babysitting for us and he does an amazing job with his little sisters. Especially his baby sister Sarah. They have a special bond and she adores her big brother. She gets very excited when he gets home from school and just about leaps into his arms to give him a big hug. On Sunday it was Stake Conference and Matt was working, so I decided to accept defeat before the battle and just stay home. Let's face it, me against five is just not fair, and usually very noisy! I told the kids that we were staying home because it was conference and Brendan asked if it would be on TV, but of course that is only for General Conference, so I said no. Brendan then asked, "What if they say something important?", to which I replied that we would just have to miss it this time and hopefully make it next time. Then my amazing son finished his breakfast, went up to his room, got dressed for church and came down and said he was going to church. I asked him how he was going to get there and he said he would walk. I kind of balked at the idea since we live about 4km away from the church. I did try to call my brother-in-law and sister-in-law to see if they had left yet, but it was already 9:20 and they were gone. So, I made sure he knew where he was going to go, told him to bundle up because it was cold and sent him out the door. I didn't really think he would go, but he left and made it there in one piece. He found a ride home with some neighbors who live just around the corner and was really excited to tell me that he didn't even fall asleep! I asked him what they talked about and he said it was all about temples, and I came to find out that all the talks besides one were all about temples! I don't know if I would have ever gone to church on my own if my parents weren't going and gave me the option not to go, but here is my awesome 12 year old son that totally makes me so proud of him! Brendan will be ordained to be a deacon this Sunday and we are so excited for this next step he is making in his life. What a lucky mom I am!

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Wow! What a great kid! I hope that someday my boys with have that much conviction too! Happy Birthday Brendan! We wish we could come for your special day this weekend!

The FOUR M's... said...

I think that's awesome still that he would go on his own -- I'm just not a brave enough mom that I would have let my kid walk that far in Edmonton on their own! :o) (I don't even let Makenna walk the one block to her friend's house by herself!) Hope you have a great day!

Nysha Murray said...

wish we could come for this sunday, we will be thinking of you guys! what an awesome son!

Jennie said...

Wow, what an amazing young man. I don't think I would have done that either. Good job Brendan!

Unknown said...

Shauna,
You are a good mom and you totally would have gone to church on your own. You "are" the type and it is showing through in your mothering skills. Its fun to read your blog.Take care.
Kerri